More than 80 million men above the age of 21 use alcohol every year. That’s not all – another 26 million men above the age of 12 use marijuana every year, 50 million use prescription drugs, three million use cocaine, four million use opioids, and one million use methamphetamine.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), men are more likely than women to use illegal drugs and are more likely to end up in the hospital as a result of illegal drug use. Men also have higher rates of use of illegal drugs, prescription drugs, or alcohol.
No matter how you look at it, millions of men across the country are currently living with a substance use disorder. While a men’s addiction treatment program can help any individual overcome their withdrawal symptoms, a strong majority of men either avoid or deny treatment.
How Does Addiction Impact Men?
Addiction and substance abuse impact men differently than women – they not only use drugs for different reasons, but they have different experiences when using those drugs and often require unique treatment protocols to ensure an optimal environment during recovery.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common reasons why men become addicted to drugs:
- Men are often risk-takers that like to live on the edge
- Men often fall to peer pressure to avoid looking weak
- Men might become addicted due to stress at work or school
- Changes to a man’s life or health might cause them to use drugs or alcohol more often
- Men who experience trauma often turn to drugs or alcohol as coping mechanisms
- Men with a family history of substance use are more likely to take part themselves
- Men like to bottle up their emotions and usually turn to drugs or alcohol to cope
Some of the most common drugs and other harmful substances abused by men include alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, pain relievers, benzodiazepines, prescription stimulants, steroids, cocaine, psychedelics, and heroin. No matter the drug of choice, men’s addiction rehab can help.
Next, let’s take a look at some of the impacts drug abuse has on men:
- Failure to maintain a job or poor performance in school
- Difficulty maintaining healthy relationships with others
- Financial instability; asking others for money to buy drugs
- Health risks, including the heart, liver, kidneys, skin, stomach, and mouth
- Potential for injury and higher risk of car accidents
- Increase in risky behavior, such as unprotected sex
- Getting in legal trouble or facing criminal charges
- Potential for overdose and risk of death
Some of the most common signs that you should seek men’s addiction rehab or a men’s IOP include using drugs despite the health risks or budget, hiding your drug use from those you love, and experiencing withdrawal symptoms anytime you stop using.
How Can a Men’s Addiction Treatment Center Help?
A men’s addiction treatment program considers the unique challenges and obstacles men face during the recovery process. These facilities provide the necessary resources, tools, support, treatment, and environment to ensure all male patients succeed in addiction recovery.
In men’s addiction rehab, men are surrounded by other men that are going through similar situations in their own lives. This allows them the opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals, motivating each other to overcome their bad habits in search of a better life.
During treatment, men will be asked to complete a detoxification process to remove any drugs or harmful substances from the body. They’ll be given medication when necessary and undergo counseling, individual and group therapy, 12-step programs, and more.
How to Find a Men’s Addiction Treatment Program to Fit Your Needs
Are you or someone you love struggling with addiction or substance abuse? Are you searching for a men’s intensive outpatient program that can help you thrive through recovery? Have you been unimpressed by your results at a co-ed rehab facility and are searching for an alternative?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above questions, you’ve come to the right place. At Spirit Mountain Recovery, we understand men’s individual and unique needs today. If you’re looking for the optimal environment for men’s addiction treatment, you’ve found it. Located in Eden Valley, Utah, Spirit Mountain Recovery is a men’s drug and alcohol rehab that utilizes the beautiful outdoors and surrounding nature to instill peace and serenity in each client that passes through. Our team of recovery specialists is excited to help Utah patients turn their life around, so feel free to contact us today to learn more!